Skip to main content

Dance

Photo by Drew Colins on Unsplash  


In 6th grade,
a group of girls 
refused to take me in 
for an intra-school group dance competition,
some thought I didn't look good enough to be on stage,
some thought I didn't dance well enough to be on stage,
they danced for Aaja Nachle,
the irony of it all.
I have no hatred for any of those girls,
I don't even remember most of them,
they did only what they knew,
the problem with that incident 
especially at the age of 11 or 12,
is that I was never angry with them 
as much as I was with myself 
for not being good enough.
Today is international dance day,
so much has changed since then,
dance has meant a lot of things over the years to me,
so this is to remind you 
that the stage will never define what it is to move your body to the rhythm of your soul,
to feel sweat dripping down your elbows,
so this is for you 
who dances in the shower,
who dances in your bedroom,
who dances on a friday night with a closed of group of friends,
who can break into a dance in the middle of a debate,
this is for you 
to hold your body like an abode of all the gods that have names and all those that don't, 
and swing your arms into this universe 
without a knot in the center of your stomach,
this for your 
feet that taps,
hands that drum,
heads that nod,
and goes unnoticed,
this is for you 
who dances like the wind,
and tell me 
who can ask the wind 
to not move?
Happy international dance day to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CELEBRATE YOURSELF

I have a child in me who fears isolation. I have a villain in me who is a prejudiced idiot. I have a lass in me who wishes to look beautiful  always . I have a genius in me who yearns to achieve . I have a dreamer in me who wishes to unleash reality. I have a joker in me who adds humour to every cell . I have a fool in me who complicates simple things. I have a saint in me who controls the rest of them. I have a god in me , who loves to touch lives . All of them share the same space presenting themselves in a myriad of forms. Yet,I am no perfectionist, I commit mistakes. But, I am myself and enjoy being that way. You too are a multi- coloured soul, Celebrate your uniqueness, Celebrate yourself!                              - (c) Vasanthi

Come Back

Credit: Sheela Pillai You tell me you have to go. After travelling all the way to steal the ecstasy from my eyes, you tell me you have to go. "Why?" I ask. Will some more time hurt? I wish I could freeze the moment when sliced the wind into pieces of tranquility, I wish you never left. What is it so enchanting that's drawing you back? Tell me, I won't be hurt, for I am not telling you that I am enchanting enough for you to stay, I am but a wanderer, too enchanted by the legacies of all the racing clouds and the bleeding sun, but again, do I have to be enchanting for you to stay? "Tell me" I ask again Tell me what is that you go back in search of, the very second you meet me. You tell me you are lost as well, in between all the slithering memories. You tell me you have to go back trudging along those limned locks of life, You tell me you have to go back to make sure that the five-year-old understands that going back sometimes means going home and somet